Tuesday, January 24, 2006

"The goofy thing about Christian faith is that you believe it and you don't believe it at the same time. It isn't unlike having an imaginary friend. I believe in Jesus; I believe He is the Son of God, but everytime I sit down to explain this to someone I feel like I'm a palm reader, like somebody who works at a circus or a kid who is always making things up or somebody at a Star Trek convention who hasn't figured out the show isn't real."
--Donald Miller--

In the past few weeks I have had the opportunity to share my faith with complete strangers on several occasions. In fact, I have shared my faith more times in these past few weeks more times than I did in all of highschool combined. However, that isn't saying much. Anyway, that isn't the point. First of all I felt very illequipped. I have so many questions that I was afraid that they would have some of the same questions I have and I wouldn't have an answere and look like a blundering fool. As I was talking to these people this quote by Donald Miller was running through my head the whole time. I did feel like this kid who is making things up or the Star Trek guy, and just like Miller I truly Believe in Jesus and that He is the Son of God. As I was talking to these people, one in particular, I found it so hard to find the right words to use. I didn't want to be a salesman trying to sell this person on Christianity so that I could have a conversion under my belt. The thought of sharing my faith like that makes me sick at my stomach. I wanted them to know that I really did care and I wasn't just trying to get them to buy my product. I also found it hard to find the words to say because I didn't want to give them a false or overly glorified idea of what it is to follow Christ. It was so hard because I myself feel so very out of place among Christians sometimes. I see the hypocrisy. I see the pride and false religion of so many Christians and the thought of sending a "child" so to speak ( I mean this in the sense of a child in their faith ) into this world terrified me. What if they accepted Christ and joined a fellowship somewhere and saw all of the things that I see? I think that if I had not been a Christian for as long as I have and saw who He is I would abandon this religion simply on the basis of what I saw in the so-called followers of Christ. Now, let me clarify that I do not consider myself above anyone. I am a hypocrit at times and I have failed miserably on many occasions. As Paul said I truly am the chief of sinners. Also, my idea of what it means to be a Christian has changed so drastically over the past few years I didn't know whether to explain things in the way that I understood them growing up or the way I see them now. Is it necessary for young believers to see everything in black and white and to accept things they are taught almost unquestioningly until some sort of foundation has been set that they can build upon? I believe there are grey areas. If you asked me 5 years ago I would have been offended by that statement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home