Thursday, February 02, 2006

in the blazon of sweet beauty's rest

When in the chronicle of wasted time,
I see descriptions of the fairest wights,
And beauty making beautiful old rhyme,
In praise of ladies dead and lovely knights,
Then in the blazon of sweet beauty's best,
Of hand, of foot, of lip, of eye, of brow,
I see their antique pen would have express'd
Even such a beauty as you master now
So all their praises are but prophecies
Of this our time, all you prefiguring:
And, for they look'd but with divining eyes,
They had not still enough your worth to sing,
For we which now behold these present days,
Have eyes to wonder but lack tongues to praise.

--Sonnet 106, William Shakespear

I want to meet a woman who can inspire a man to write something like this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Je Dois said...

word..(to what the guy above said).

"Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor i half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
and afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
a vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

I love this sonnet because it's not some guy trying to create some mythical woman that he can then chase but never fast enough because if he actually caught her it would end the fantasy.

6:21 AM  
Blogger josh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 AM  
Blogger josh said...

True(Chris), he probably was talking to his boyfriend.

Also true(Huxtable), she is obviously a mythical figure. The thing about myths, though, is that they are not necessarily entirely false. However, time seems to support the idea that this "mythical" woman does not exist.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home