Thursday, April 06, 2006

time served

Does age equal wisdom? Does the amount of time one has served on this earth indicative of how wise a person is? We always see the archetypical wise old man in movies and read about him in books but is it a fair assumption that someone who is older is necessarily wiser? Growing up we are taught to be respectful of the elderly because they are older and wiser than we are. For the most part I have always assumed that this was true. Now, I am not here to tell anyone that they do not have to respect the elderly. My question has little to do with whether we should respect those who are older and much to do with how much wiser they really are. Wisdom is defined as the power or faculty of forming a sound judgment in any matter. How does one come to acquire this power of forming sound judgments? I suppose the only logical answer is through experience. Subsequently, the more experience one accrues, the more wisdom is attained right? That only seems logical. However, it seems that there should be a little more to it than that.

Let's say that wisdom is gained through what is learned from experience. The simple truth is that people do not always learn the right lesson from a given experience. One of several things happens when people experience a hardship: a) they learn why said event happened and take reasonable steps to prevent it from happening again, b) they form a knee-jerk reaction to the adverse circumstance and grossly overcompensate for their error often putting other people at odds with them as a result, and c) they learn nothing from it and are doomed to find themselves in the same hole they started in. So, to say that age/experience equals wisdom is questionable to say the least.

I'm not really sure where I am going with this except to say that I have been thinking a lot about people. I know a lot of older people who are incredibly foolish and make irrational and unwise decisions on a regular basis. I also know some younger people who have more wisdom in their little finger than many people obtain in a lifetime. I suppose that you could argue that this observation is based on my youthful perspective and lacks wisdom. I don't really have an argument for that. I just feel that everyone should have to earn the respect that they receive and the fact that they have lived a long time without dying doesn't seem like a good enough reason to respect someone to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

i think wisdom comes from the rate at which a person matures. physically growth really doesnt count for much aside from having more chances possibly learn lessons from life.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Je Dois said...

I think Josh is right. There are some people that just because they haven't died yet doesn't mean we should respect them. But them experience counts for a lot also. I have an 18 year old neice that I spent the weekend with who thinks she's found the man for the rest of her life. I just have to chuckle, tell her to wait it out, and hope she's luckier than me.

6:43 AM  
Blogger josh said...

i wasn't saying that we should treat old people like crap. we shouldn't treat anyone like crap. everyone should be treated with respect. i meant respect more in the sense of how much we value the advice and ideas they have to offer.

9:40 AM  
Blogger josh said...

i like old people too...i think i somehow managed to communicate the wrong point.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home